Following the announced lockdown easing and updated guidance by British cycling club activity can return to a more normal ride structure / way of operating from week commencing the 17th May 2021. It is critical to us as a club that we put the safety of our members first and are seen as a responsible club so we ask all members respect the following guidance. A summary of the British cycling guidance can be found below (full information at
- No limit on number of riders in a group
- Maintain a safe distance of 1 meter plus
- If you have any symptoms relating to/or have been in contact with some with symptoms relating to COVID-19 please do not attend.
As a club we have always been conscious of ride numbers being safe and courteous to other road users. As such we are not imposing a formal limit and this should be at the discretion of those in the group, we recommend a maximum group size of 10-12 is sensible even under normal circumstances.
For many of us it has been a while since we have ridden in a group or you may be considering riding with a club for the first time. If you wish to refresh yourself on group riding etiquette or how to minimise risks on rides please review the guidance on our website at
Group Riding etiquette – http://www.crostonvelo.co.uk/main-about-us/group-riding-etiquette/
Croston Velo Risk Assessment – http://www.crostonvelo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Croston-Velo-Risk-Assessment.pdf
We also highly recommend that members obtain 3rd party liability insurance. There are many options available online but a basic level of cover can be obtained by being a member of British Cycling (starting from £39.60 per year) details can be found at https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/ride Furthermore if you are a paid member of Croston Velo you can get a discount on your first years membership being it will cost https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/clubs/membership
Club Ride Structure – Week commencing 17th May 2021
- All Rides will start from Croston Sports Club again. Please note the car park remains closed due to the refurbishment but there is sufficient room down the side of the premises and into the rear car park to safely congregate. It is recommended that you congregate in the groups you intend to ride with to minimise social contact.
- Croston Sports Club will be open post ride on Tuesday and Thursday and is now able to serve drinks inside and out (there will be no food until the refurbishment is completed as there is no kitchen facility)
- Rides will resume the normal ride structure, full details are found on our website at http://www.crostonvelo.co.uk/club-rides/ a summary of which is below
- Tuesday – 18:30 from Croston Sports Club. Usually two groups B+/B and a C group. Groups will be organised to suit rider ability based of those present. If numbers are sufficient the ride will split into 3 groups B+, B and C.
- Thursday – 18:30 from Croston Sports Club. 4 Groups A, B+, B and C group (a ride to suit all abilities)
- For all weekday rides the route is published before the ride so it can be downloaded to GPS devices, the full directory is available at http://www.crostonvelo.co.uk/ride-directory/
- Sunday – 8:00am from Croston Sports club, our early ride on Sunday usually B/B+ pace
- Sunday – 9:30am from Croston Sports Club, our later Sunday ride, 2 groups a B pace ride and a C pace ride
* For new people to the club please ensure you join the club (subs are £20 per annum) and complete the membership form on http://www.crostonvelo.co.uk/croston-velo-membership-form/ as this will ensure we are able to support track and trace efforts if required.